Tea Type: White Tea
Tea Region: Fuding, Fujian Province, China
- Appearance: Translucent, pale golden liquor.
- Aroma: Floral (rose, peony), honey and herbaceous (thyme, dried hay) notes.
- Flavour: Fruity (honeydew melon), floral (peony), vegetal (tomato stems, cucumber) flavours. A hint of thyme in the finish. A great balance between delicate sweetness and acidity.
- Mouthfeel: Very smooth, supple, light-bodied liquor. More pronounced, long-lasting aromas and flavours than Silver Needles.
- Measure 3g of tea per 200ml water. Boil water to 80℃. Steep for 3-5 minutes.
Reference: Op. 601
Tips for Tea Connoisseurs
White Peony Tea (aka. Bai Mu Dan) is a delicate, Chinese white tea, made of a downy silver bud and the top two newest leaves harvested in spring. White tea is the least processed tea among the six different kinds of tea, as no firing, steaming or rolling is involved in the production. Instead, the freshly harvested tender buds and leaves are withered in the sun to allow the natural, mild oxidation to take place. The result is a very smooth, light-bodied, gentle liquor with delicate, fruity, floral and vegetal flavours. Nevertheless, the flavours and aromas are much more nuanced and long-lasting than those of Silver Needles, another kind of Chinese white tea, which is made of downy silver buds only.
In China, Fuding and Zhenghe are the two renowned regions for white tea production and our White Peony tea is made from Fuding Dai Bai cultivar tea leaves which are hand-picked and processed in Fuding, Fujian Province. From the pale golden yellow infusion, you will notice sweet and refreshing flavours of honeydew melon and cucumber. A hint of thyme in the finish leaves a refreshing mouthfeel, while adding more savouriness to the liquor.
Recently, white tea has become increasingly popular, due to some studies linking its antioxidant properties to potential health benefits such as anti-ageing and promoting skin health.
If you like this product you may well like Shou Mei White Tea or Tteokcha Wisdom.